Craving a warm and comforting breakfast? Try this delicious keto sausage and egg casserole without bread! It's the perfect mix of savory flavors from sausage, eggs, and creamy cheese. This quick and easy recipe is ideal for busy mornings or as a holiday casserole that's a Whole Lotta Yum.
✅ Get our FREE healthy meal prep printables + meal plan! 🥑
Keto Breakfast Casserole
Nothing beats the convenience of a breakfast casserole for busy mornings. This keto egg and sausage casserole is the perfect combination of food and flavor, perfect for those eating low carb or for our readers who just want a healthy homemade casserole with no bread. With just a few ingredients and some simple prep time, this dish can provide nourishment and satisfaction all at once!
If you’re feeding a crowd for a weekend brunch, keto egg and sausage casserole can easily be served buffet style. Simply set out warmed slices with a few different topping options like salsa, diced peppers, or even bacon bits for an added crunch.
Need a little sweetness with your breakfast? Our greek yogurt bark and peanut butter banana baked oatmeal cups are a sweet and healthy treat to offer with your low carb breakfast casserole.
Why You'll Love This!
- Super healthy recipe - This casserole dish is keto friendly, low carb and gluten free.
- Easy to make - Whether you're making this for your weekend family breakfast or for breakfast meal prep during the week. It takes just minutes to put together!
- Make ahead options - Prepare this dish ahead of time up to the point of being ready to bake, wrap it with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Bake 30 minutes before you're ready to serve.
🥘 Keto Sausage Egg Casserole Ingredients
A wonderful recipe that allows you to customize this breakfast casserole to your tastes, whether you're changing up the protein type or the veggies.
- Eggs - Large eggs
- Sour cream - Easily swap sour cream for greek yogurt.
- Heavy whipping cream - Half and half and whole milk will work in place of heavy cream.
- Salt and Black pepper - Simple seasonings let the bolder ingredients speak for themselves. Adding garlic powder would be a tasty addition.
- Pork sausage (like Jimmy Dean) - Use a nice ground breakfast sausage and avoid sausage patties or links
- Yellow onion - A nice medium-sized onion will do. If you like less onion flavor, use a small onion or a quarter to a half of a medium onion.
- Green and Red bell pepper - Bell peppers don't contain a ton of flavor so feel free to use any color! Other pepper options for spice are diced jalapenos or habaneros. For a mild flavor, an anaheim or poblano pepper is a great option.
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese (shredded from a block) - Shredded cheddar cheese from a block will give you a really nice melty cheese. Prepackaged shredded cheese uses anti-caking agents that can leave your melted cheese grainy and less creamy.
** Please see the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the exact quantities **
- More greens: Add fresh spinach, green onions, or fresh parsley to your egg mixture before pouring over the sausage mixture.
- Veggies: Mushrooms and roasted tomatoes are also yummy to add, but can also be used in place of peppers.
- Different cheeses: Cheddar cheese is delicious, but so many other cheeses offer other levels of flavors you'll love. Try a blend of pepper jack, Monterey jack, Swiss, Gruyere, or a rich smoked gouda.
- Dinner Egg & Sausage Casserole: Breakfast for dinner can happen more often than not, swap out breakfast sausage for a spicy or mild Italian sausage. Other meat options include cooked bacon, ham, or ground beef.
- A large skillet for sauteing
- A 9x9 or 7x11 baking dish
🔪 How to Cook Sausage Egg and Cheese Casserole Without Bread
Simply saute the meat and veggies, then layer them together in the baking dish top with shredded cheese and bake!
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9x9' pan or 7x13' casserole dish with cooking spray.
Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the breakfast sausage and cook it until browned, breaking it up into smaller chunks as it cooks. Leave a little grease in the pan to cook the veggies, drain the rest of the grease, and ass the cooked pork to a medium-sized bowl.
Add the bell peppers and onion to the same skillet you cooked the sausage and saute for 3-4 minutes until softened. Transfer the cooked vegetables to the bowl with the cooked pork and combine
Add the meat and vegetable mixture to the greased pan. Top with shredded cheese.
Combine the eggs, sour cream, heavy whipping cream, and salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Beat with a whisk until combined. Pour the egg mixture over the top of the cooked sausage and veggies.
Bake the egg breakfast casserole in the preheated oven for 35-40+ minutes or until the edges of the casserole is set and the interior is barely jiggly. Cut into squares. Garnish with sliced green onions.
Serve with avocado slices, sour cream, hot sauce and salsa too. Enjoy!
🥗 Dietary Substitutions
This easy and delicious breakfast casserole dish is keto friendly, gluten free, and low carb.
- Dairy free: Use a dairy free sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese. You can also replace the heavy cream with coconut cream, coconut milk or almond milk.
💡 Sausage Egg Casserole Recipe Tips
- You can make this breakfast casserole a day in advance.
- If preferred, you can add 3 cups of cooked frozen breakfast potatoes to make the casserole even heartier.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- This is an easy casserole to double for a crowd! Just add the mixture to a 9x13 casserole dish.
How long does a sausage breakfast casserole recipe keep?
If stored properly in an airtight container, this leftover keto breakfast casserole will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator. Store the entire casserole in the baking dish covered tightly with plastic wrap, or cut it into portioned slices and store then in meal prep containers for breakfast for the week.
What to serve it with?
Our low carb breakfast casserole dish can be served with a large bowl of fresh fruit at a family breakfast. Serve with any of these healthy recipes: Keto pumpkin cream cheese muffins with chocolate chips or our healthy baked oatmeal with berries.
😋 More Breakfast Recipes
If you're looking for more tasty breakfast dishes for your family, check out any of these wonderful options!
- 6 Keto Breakfast Casserole Recipes
- Air Fryer Breakfast Sausage Links
- Berry Tropical Breakfast Yogurt and Granola in a Cantaloupe Bowl
- 25 Air Fryer Breakfast Recipes
💌 Get Meal Prep Help!
Be sure to join our healthy recipes email list to get lots of meal prep ideas, plus free meal planning printables. We're here to make meal time simple!
If you loved our recipe, please leave us a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ review and leave us a comment too! Connect with us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, or YouTube!
📌 Pin for Later
📌 Be sure to pin the recipe to Pinterest so you can easily find it again! ⬆️
Keto Sausage and Egg Casserole
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Craving a warm and comforting breakfast? Try this delicious keto sausage and egg casserole without bread! It's the perfect mix of savory flavors from sausage, eggs, and creamy cheese. This quick and easy recipe is ideal for busy mornings or week long meal prep that's a Whole Lotta Yum
- 6 Eggs
- ½ cup Sour cream
- ¼ cup Heavy whipping cream
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 pound Pork sausage (like Jimmy Dean)
- ¼ cup Yellow onion, diced
- ½ Green bell pepper, diced
- ½ Red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup Shredded sharp cheddar cheese (shredded from a block)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9x9' pan or 7x13' casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the breakfast sausage and cook it until browned, breaking it up into smaller chunks as it cooks.
- Leave a little grease in the pan to cook the veggies, drain the rest of the grease, and ass the cooked pork to a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the bell peppers and onion to the same skillet you cooked the sausage and saute for 3-4 minutes until softened. Transfer the cooked vegetables to the bowl with the cooked pork and combine.
- Add the meat and vegetable mixture to the greased pan. Top with shredded cheese.
- Combine the eggs, sour cream, heavy whipping cream, and salt and pepper in a bowl. Beat with a whisk until combined.
- Pour over the top of the meat mixture.
- Bake the breakfast casserole for 35-40+ minutes or until the edges of the casserole are set and the interior is barely jiggly.
- Cut into squares. Harnish with sliced green onions. Serve with avocado slices, sour cream, and salsa too. Enjoy!
- You can make the breakfast casserole a day in advance. It will take longer to cook being chilled compared to a casserole cooked right away.
- If preferred, you can add 3 cups of cooked frozen breakfast potatoes to make the casserole even heartier. It won't be low carb but it's a great variation for those wanting a casserole that uses potatoes instead.
Yield 8Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 415Total Fat 34gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 233mgSodium 837mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 0gSugar 2gProtein 23g
The nutrional information is just an estimate and was calculated by an automated calculator. If you're on a restricted health program please manually calculate this information using the brands of ingredients you have since brands can vary.
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a comment on the blog or share a photo on Pinterest